Our go-to sugar cookie recipe is a Christmas must-make. They not only taste delicious, but they make for a morning or evening full of family fun. The little masterpieces that get decorated on the cookies are almost too beautiful to eat!
Don’t just wait to bake these cookies once a year for the holidays. They make great birthday treats too. They also make for a good rainy afternoon activity to keep little ones busy. Just make sure you have the wine on standby for when the sugar rush hits!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside
- Using an electric stand mixer, mix room temperature butter and sugar in a large bowl until light in color
- Add the egg and milk to the mixer
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the mixer while on low speed
- Divide the dough in half. Wrap in wax paper and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours (very important, do not skip this step!!)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- On a clean surface, sprinkle confectioners' sugar down before rolling out the dough
- Remove one wrapped dough from the fridge at a time. Coat the rolling pin with confectioners' sugar and roll out the dough to be ¼" thick. Be sure that the dough does not get too warm, if it does, place back into the refrigerator to cool.
- Cut into deisred shape. Place 1" apart on a sprayed cookie sheet
- Bake at 375°F for 7-9 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to brown
- Remove from the oven. After 2 minutes, transfer to a cookie rack to cool.
- Serve as is or decorate once cooled